The Social Data behind tweets with the hashtag #bigdata is…well…BIG. There are 71 unique tweets/hour, 154 retweets/hour and 197,000 potential views/hour using the hashtag big data. Adding the more specific hashtags within our industry like #analytics #datascience and #hadoop spiraled the icrunchdata team into the Matrix of Big Data Tweeters. We’ve compiled our Top 10 List and ranked them by number of followers. We ruled out company Twitter pages and focused just on the great people of Big Data.
Here are our picks.
Nate Silver @NateSilver538 1.15M followers
Editor-in-Chief, FiveThirtyEight and way ahead of the rest of us in follower count. His tweets cover sports, politics and food all with an analytics focus but you've been warned, currently they lean heavy on politics.
Bernard Marr @BernardMarr 81.3K followers
- CEO of Advanced Performance Institute, bestselling author and big data guru. Based in London and covers Big Data, Career tips and the global leaders in analytics.
Hilary Mason @hmason 54.7K
- Founder of FastForward and Data Scientist at Accel. Loves data, cheeseburgers and engages with her followers constantly.
Nathan Yau @flowingdata 45.8K
- A statistician that tweets about big data, eating, beer and data as an artform.
Gregory Piatetsky @KDNuggets 31.1K
- If you want to deep dive into analytics, Gregory is your guy in Data Science, Big Data and Analytics.
Kirk Borne @KirkDBorne 25.6K
- A Big Data Influencer and Professor of Astrophysics and Computational Science at George Mason University. Tweets around doing analytics better and differently in all industries.
Carla Gentry @Data_Nerd 18.8K
- Carla is always on and a Twitter addict with 164.9K tweets. Don’t let the quantity scare you, her feed is full of quality content and she's always there to answer your data analytics questions.
Merv Adrian @merv 18.5K
- VP at Gartner and tweets heavy on Hadoop but a great mix between industry news and who Merv is personally. Recently tweeted how thick a Denny’s pancake is. 25.4mm by the way.
John Furrier @furrier 18.1K
- Founder and CEO of SiliconANGLE Network and tweets the pulse of big data from Silicon Valley with an entrepreneurial tone.
Lillian Pierson @BigDataGal 17K
- Author of Data Science for Dummies released on Monday written for Data Scientists, novice Analysts, business managers and decision makers. She storms into the top 10 with the release of her book for our industry this week and is a nomadic datapreneur, which sounds pretty cool.