Research at Stripe:
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet by helping forward-thinking businesses worldwide sell to anyone, anywhere in new ways. We believe there are too many barriers to doing business on the internet—and that the opportunities to do so are not equally distributed. Researchers at Stripe help lower barriers to success so that lack of access to technical, legal, or financial talent doesn’t prevent great ideas from becoming great businesses.
There’s still so much we have to learn at Stripe. What does it mean for people around the world to start up something they really believe in? What are the barriers people face when they’re trying to make their business successful? To support the next generation of global businesses, we need to immerse ourselves in our users’ experiences: to first reason about what users would like, and then to work backwards about what we should build. That’s where you come in—we’re looking for a diverse group of researchers from many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties to help us learn everything we need to know about building the modern, global, connected economy. You’ll join a small but quickly-growing research team at our offices in San Francisco, Seattle, or Dublin.
Are you excited by democratizing research and empowering an entire company to connect with businesses worldwide? Because that’s what we’re up to—we aren’t just doing our own work, we’re enabling people across all of Stripe (engineers, product managers, designers, everyone) to apply research skills to global problems. If you love scaling yourself and your expertise, we can give you the freedom and resources to do amazing things at Stripe.
The Research Team is growing within the Design Team — learn more about how the Design Team works and who you’d work with.
- Build and scale best-in-class survey programs that help us stay connected to our users.
- Be the company’s leading authority on survey tooling, design, methodology, and analysis.
- Partner closely with Marketing and Data Science to create the infrastructure for standardizing in-product survey research and ongoing tracking surveys.
- Establish training, best practices, and scalable consulting processes to ensure everyone at Stripe can ship world-class surveys and analyze them in a rigorous way.
You may be a fit if:
- You’re a creative, bold, visionary builder—where other people see chaos, you see opportunity.
- You’ve directed complex survey projects at scale—from ongoing tracking surveys to demographic assessments to cross-sectional product surveys.
- You know best practices only matter if your partners across the company are on board—that’s why you love working closely with other teams (e.g., marketing, data science) to scale solutions that work for everyone.
- You lose track of time when you’re thinking through sample characteristics, drafting immaculate survey questions, running SQL queries, and getting answers from your survey data.
- You’ve built or supported internal survey solutions at your workplace.
Any combination of these qualities would make your application stand out:
- You have an MA or PhD in a related field, like sociology, epidemiology, communications, psychology, or political science.
- You know the ins and outs of different survey tools (e.g., Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey) and data analytics languages/platforms (e.g., SQL, R, Stata, Python).
- You’ve built out survey UI or survey data infrastructure before.
- You’re comfortable communicating with our user base: startup founders and business professionals.
You should include these in your application:
- Your CV or LinkedIn profile.
- A few words about why Stripe is interesting to you.