Reporting to the Vice President, Corporate Finance, the Financial Analyst, Corporate Finance is a key member of Vertex’s Corporate Finance team and the global FP&A organization. This role will help support the annual budget process, monthly forecasting and management reporting, the Long-Term Plan (LRP) and other ad hoc analyses including support for workforce planning and investor relations. The role will often partner with members of the global functional finance and international finance teams as well as accounting and GIS. Finally, the role is a key contributor to various management reporting presentations including but not limited to forecast updates and board materials for the CFO. The best candidate will also endeavor to identify process improvement opportunities and will collaborate with functional finance teams to ensure standardization where appropriate.
- Support the Director of Corporate Finance to facilitate the annual budget process and monthly forecasting processes by partnering with finance colleagues on reporting of actual results against budget, prior forecasts and historical performance.
- Support the Associate Director of Corporate Finance to facilitate the Long-Range Plan process including scenario modeling and preparation of presentation materials.
- Collaborate with other members of the CFO organization including Corporate Finance, International Finance and Accounting to develop business acumen and understand material variances in business results.
- Identify and help drive opportunities to improve process across the global finance organization, collaborating closely with our CI team.
Prepare various CFO presentation schedules for Board meetings, Executive Committee discussions, conferences and other ad hoc meetings, collaborating with various groups as needed.
- Support and/or build valuation models for various internal analyses including the LRP, Disease Are Strategy Reviews and Portfolio exercises.
- Perform Corporate Finance SOX testing and P&L flux analyses, partnering closely with Accounting and Internal Audit teams to ensure process controls are evidenced and working.
- Work closely with other members of the Corporate Finance team to promote strong communication, sharing of best practices and cross training.
- B.S. Degree in Finance or Accounting, Masters a plus.
1-3 years of relevant financial experience - Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical industry experience preferred but not required.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work with large amounts of data with an ability to create ad hoc reports or analytics independently.
- Experience with Excel and PowerPoint; Experience with Hyperion (or another multidimensional database), business intelligence or visualization tools a plus.
- Strong judgment and professionalism required.
- Intellectual curiosity to develop a deep understanding of business issues.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and an eagerness to collaborate with colleagues (within or outside of finance) in sharing insights and learnings.
- Must be able to work well with senior leaders, peers and junior team members.
- Global experience, including working with foreign exchange rates, a plus.
- Possesses a continuous improvement mindset with the flexibility to adapt to change.
THE VERTEX PHENOTYPE
Drive Breakthrough Results:
- Encourage creative problem solving, seeking new paths to solve important and difficult problems in a disciplined manner
- Create an organization that is nimble and ready for change; sponsor bold or transformational initiatives that encourage new ways of thinking
- Publicly celebrate significant achievements that represent new and innovative ways of doing things
Promote Enterprise Thinking:
- Communicate a compelling vision of how the work of your organization contributes to the achievement of the company’s strategic plan
- Take a big-picture view to understand what effects your decisions and actions have, beyond your immediate focus
- Maintain a global company view and make sacrifices within your organization to benefit the company as a whole
Lead by Example:
- Walk the talk. Ensure you and your business/function demonstrate the highest level of integrity, ethics, and authenticity
- Make diversity and inclusion a priority that permeates your business/function
- Ensure there is high transparency of decisions, ensuring the ‘why’ is known
Learn, Teach and Develop:
- Teach, mentor and champion the development of talent inside and outside your function; Seek to delegate accountability and allow for some freedom in achieving objectives
- Create an environment where people feel safe to provide full candor as a means of making the best decisions
- Share successes and openly promote others’ development, progress, and achievements
Foster Exceptional Collaboration:
- Establish collaborative partnerships up, down and across that support informed decision making
- Actively seek out, listen to, and respect different or opposing viewpoints within and outside of Vertex
- Call out behaviors that are inconsistent with our values
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition.