The DBA reports to the Sr Manager of Technical Operations and will be part of a global DBA team. You will be responsible for various Enterprise databases such as Sybase, Oracle, MSSQL and DB/2 for our Licensing/Publishing and Creative applications. In addition, you will assist in reviewing schemas and queries for customers of our hosted database solutions with an eye towards assisting those customers to optimize their implementations and develop best-in-class performance for their products. This is a high impact position that is critical to helping us maintain our record of high availability and high quality of our data services supporting various Disney properties.
This position requires a working knowledge of Sybase 15.x or newer, running in Solaris operating system. An experience of upgrading Sybase is a plus. The day to day tasks includes space and performance monitoring of the database and scheduled tasks. Environment contains automated tasks for system monitoring and remediation through various scripts, so familiarity in shell scripting is a must. This position is very much as an operation DBA and requires additional familiarity with application related processes to support the application team. The rapid ability to troubleshoot and remediate is required. Two major applications are supported by the Sybase database and require support of international users. This system requires 24/7 support with our on-call rotation.
To expedite consideration, we highly recommend that you BOTH upload your resume AND copy and paste the text when creating your candidate profile.
- Configuration, provisioning, upgrading and decommissioning databases.
- Database tuning for optimization and performance
- Monitoring production deployments for capacity issues, performance and troubleshooting
- Actively participate in production database support. Availability for 24X7 on call rotation support.
- Work with customers to verify and validate schemas and queries for performance and scalability
- Keep abreast of new database capabilities, developments, and products and provide guidance and suggestions for new and improved technologies.
- Keep backups as current as possible and devise restoration techniques with minimal downtime.
- Automation, automation, automation!
- Work collaboratively with the team members when required and train others on the newly acquired competence.
- Work with documentation team to ensure any issues effecting functionality are properly reflected in documentation
- Participate in any corporate wide ventures related to security, operations, automation, development, administration and documentation.
- Stay calm during high-pressure assignments & operations and lead the technical efforts in collaboration with the team.
- Handle change management operations.
- Keep run-books updated for smooth operations.
- 2-5 years of hands on experience administering/monitoring Enterprise Databases
- Significant knowledge of multiple Enterprise database technologies such as: Sybase on Solaris, Oracle on Linux, MSSQL on Windows Server and DB/2 on IBM Linux (minimum knowledge of 2 out of 4)
- Hands on experience with 2 or more other databases is a PLUS; MongoDB, MySQL, Couchbase, Cassandra, Redis.
- Experience with UNIX/Linux scripting (perl/python/bash)
- Excellent Troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to comfortably multitask and work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to demonstrate technical acumen skills within a team of DBAs
- Ability to own a project from start to finish using our 2 weeks sprint agile method
- Thorough understanding of server configuration both hardware and virtualized, and how it affects performance and cost
- Clear understanding of relational and non-relational databases
- Query analysis
- DB Schema design
- TCP dump
- Monitoring skills
- Good scripting skills
- Multi datacenter environments
- Knowledge of cloud operations is a plus
- Knowledge of Virtualization
- High availability and performance tuning techniques
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or engineering equivalent