This is an exciting new position within IT for the City of Fort Collins.
The selected professional will have the opportunity to come in on the ground floor of creating a new Data Warehouse for the Utilities Service Area. With minimal direction the Data Warehouse Architect will strategically design and implement data warehouses, data marts, and data stores, while ensuring high levels of data availability and accuracy for analysts and staff across the organization. This individual is responsible for defining data standards and models for warehouse architectures as well as data quality standards.
The Data Warehouse Architect will in addition evaluate and select all infrastructure components such as software, hardware, BI tools and database management systems.
Strategy & Planning
- Assess and cultivate long-term strategic goals for data warehousing in conjunction with data users, analysts, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders.
- Coordinate and work with other technical staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Plan and implement capacity and resource expansion to ensure data warehouse scalability.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective availability, protection, and integrity of data assets.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Use existing knowledge and conduct research to make recommendations on data warehouse products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Evaluate, recommend, and collaboratively select data warehouse components, including hardware, database management systems, ETL (extract, transform, load) software, data mining tools, meta data management tools and business intelligence solutions.
- Work with data analysts within the Utilities’ organization to gather requirements for a data warehouse, data cube, or similar solution.
- Work with end users and analysts to identify, create, and deliver data structures according to requirements.
- Develop efficient and accurate ETL methods for efficiently loading the data warehouse, data mart, or other data store.
- Create models for new data warehouse development and/or changes to existing data stores.
- Work with analysts to create robust metadata describing the contents of the data warehouse.
- Work with analysts at the Utilities to determine needed frequency of updating the data in the data warehouse/data mart/cube or other consolidated data store.
- Design and manage data warehouse improvement and growth projects.
- Identify inefficiencies and gaps in current data warehouse solutions and leverage solutions.
- Identify data discrepancies and data quality issues and ensure data consistency and integrity.
- Diagnose and resolve data warehouse access and performance issues.
- Install and configure relevant components to ensure data warehouse access.
- Execute data warehouse configuration and performance tuning.
- Monitor system details within the data warehouse, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Ability to learn operational business process quickly.
- Perform cost estimates for data migration between development, test, and production systems, and from source systems. Plan and coordinate these migrations.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to data systems.
- Mentor and/or provide leadership to junior members of the team and other stakeholders.
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science, information systems, or computer engineering and/or 8 years of equivalent direct work experience in data warehousing, information engineering, and executive dashboarding.
- Certifications in database technologies a plus.
- Project Management Professional preferred
Knowledge & Experience
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting multi-terabyte data warehouses.
- Significant experience with database platforms, including Oracle, SQL Server, and multi-dimensional data models.
- Strong understanding of denormalization of data as it applies to data warehousing.
- Strong understanding of star schema and dimensional tables.
- Strong understanding of relational database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Hands-on experience with information engineering, data architecting, data mining, large-scale data modeling, and business requirements gathering/analysis.
- Ability to quickly understand in-house data-intensive applications.
- In-depth technical knowledge of computing environments including servers, and client computing systems.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards, including best coding practices, ETL best practices, cyber security, and advances in current data warehousing tools.
- Must have strong demonstrated project management skills that include collaboration and change management abilities.
- Experience with process flow charting using tools such as Visio.
- Proven project management experience
- Strong ability to quickly understand the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent technical architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work cross-organizationally to understand/document needs of entire organization.
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, highly collaborative environment.
- Works in office environment
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers, devices, and peripherals.
The City of Fort Collins will make reasonable accommodations for access to City services, programs and activities and will make special communication arrangements for persons with disabilities.
Notice Regarding Medical and/or Recreational Marijuana Use: Because the possession and use of marijuana, whether for medical use or otherwise, constitutes a federal offense and because the City is a drug free workplace, the City will not accommodate the medical use of marijuana and enforces written policy prohibiting working for the City while marijuana is in the body. The fact that state law recognizes medical marijuana as a prescribed, or otherwise permitted, medication does not alter or otherwise change this policy. The City of Fort Collins is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions for which they have applied without regard to gender (regardless of gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age 40 years or older, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy or other characteristics protected by law. For the purpose of this City policy “sexual orientation” means a person’s actual or perceived orientation toward heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality.
BACKGROUND CHECK/MOTOR VEHICLE REPORT AND DRUG TEST REQUIRED WITHIN 48 HOURS OF OFFER.
Note: Some information in your application may be public information under the Colorado Open Records Act.