Who We Are:
The Walt Disney Studios is comprised of large team of creative professionals who produce and acquire live-action and animated motion pictures, direct-to-video content, television and serial
properties, musical recordings and live stage plays that tell memorable, life changing stories. Few media and entertainment companies can rival the brands we have the honor of bringing to the
What You Will Be Creating:
You will be working in a small, multidisciplinary team of systems, software, and data engineers. You will be designing, creating, and applying a state-of-the-art data ingest, storage, analytics and
reporting system for a variety of customer groups within the Studios.
This is an opportunity to shape the present and future of a major studio’s relationship with data.
We are looking for talented software engineers with experience manipulating data sets at the multi-terabyte level, using the JVM/Apache/Spark/Kafka ecology of open-source distributed storage and computation tools.
What’s Your Story?
We are looking for self-starting, experienced engineers who wants to shape the way that a fortune 100 entertainment company engages with data and analytics. You have extensive experience shipping production code. You are insulted when someone asks you if you’ve written the unit tests yet, because you wrote them first. You can simulate, load-test, and performance analyze a complex distributed system. You are comfortable analyzing problems and implementing solutions on multi-terabyte data sets. Your systems fail elegantly.
- Analyze business problems, architect, design and build high-quality software solutions
- Collaborate with customer representatives, product and project management teams
- Evangelize technologies, solutions, and best practices
- Contribute new ideas to a larger community of high-caliber professionals
- Balance resources, requirements, and complexity
- Passion & proven experience in engineering high-quality software and systems that deliver business value
- Passion & proven experience in system design, with interests and experience across the architecture from virtual machine and language internals to distributed systems performance and analysis
- Fluency with the fundamentals of algorithms and data structures
- Sound technical decision-making
- A range of JVM/CLR languages, as well as scripting/systems languages like Python
- Testing practices (unit, integration, performance and load testing)
- Revision control with git
- Distributed systems and API design
- Kafka, Spark, Hive and other distributed data analysis tools
- The AWS environment and toolset
- SQL and related data stores
- Confluent.io & Kafka
- Maven & Pants for dependencies and builds
- Jenkins for build & deployment
- Docker, OpenShift and Kubernetes for execution management
- Elastic Search, Kibana, or other aggregation and search tools
- Teradata, Informatica, and other data warehousing solutions
- Tableau, MicroStrategy, d3, and other data visualization tools
- Data science, statistics, machine learning and other applied mathematics
- Data lake and data warehouse implementation and support
- Kylo, Cloudera, or other data lake management systems
- BS in computer science, mathematics, or engineering with 8-10+ years of software experience