The Direct-to-Consumer International (DTCI) segment of The Walt Disney Company is seeking a Business Intelligence Analyst with a strong business acumen and the technical skills necessary to uncover and present insights to various business stakeholders at Movies Anywhere (MA). This position will report to the Manager of Analytics for Movies Anywhere.
Movies Anywhere is a cloud-based digital movie service. This app for iOS, Android, Web, and 10-foot devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.) enables consumers to discover, purchase, and watch movies from participating studios (Disney, Fox, Sony, Warner Bros., Universal) using a single service, regardless of the online retailer used to purchase those movies.
The Business Intelligence Analyst will use customer attributes, purchase transaction data, and event-level data from the Movies Anywhere apps to build dashboards, perform ad-hoc analyses, and generate insights that various teams at Movies Anywhere (including product, marketing, finance, strategy) can use to make better business decisions. Members of the analytics team at Movies Anywhere are expected to become experts in how consumers interact with the app and what product and marketing experiences will increase engagement, retention, and lead to increased returns to the participating studios. This role will have influence in the future direction of the product.
- Analyze customer cohorts to design maps of the customer journeys both inside and outside the product
- Develop a deep understanding of engagement and retention drivers by cohort and provide insight on which product features are most effective in increasing retention and engagement
- Uncover and recommend product improvement opportunities that would lead to increased purchase behavior (both inside and outside the app)
- Help define metrics/KPIs for new product features and build automated dashboards that can display those KPIs for internal stakeholders
- Help ideate and analyze A/B testing experiments to grow the MA user base and increase the number of core and engaged users
- Ask and answer the next question(s) after gathering and analyzing the data to make insights more powerful – not just delivering what was asked for!
Basic Qualifications :
- Powerful SQL skills – almost all of the data we work with is accessible in our Amazon Athena SQL environment. We use JOINs, conditional aggregations (SUM(CASE WHEN), etc.) almost every day to combine our users and the performance of product features and marketing campaigns.
- Business acumen – ultimately, the analyses we perform need to lead to insights and business decisions. It’s not enough to be able to “pull data” and create reports and dashboards that others have requested; our team needs to combine product and consumer expertise with a sense of the bigger picture (general business landscape in which MA operates) to help influence and drive marketing and product decisions.
- Initiative – if you have something you want to learn about or think will make an impact, you will not only have the freedom to explore, but also you will be expected to do so.
- Ability to work independently – we understand that it will take some for you to become familiar with the product, our users, and our data, so you can expect to receive ample guidance and direction when you start. Over time, as you become an expert in our business, you will be asked to provide forecasts and recommendations that you will need to build/develop independently.
- Communication skills – some of the analyses we do are quite technical, but they need to be communicated to executive teams, both internal to MA and to studio leadership teams
- Problem-solving ability – Our stakeholders don’t always know the right question to ask, so we often have to figure out what the real question or desired outcome before conducting an analysis
- Data visualization skills (Tableau) – Putting together visualizations that update automatically allows our team to only need to do something once, rather than on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. This role needs to be able to turn the results of a complicated SQL query into something that a non-technical person can easily understand.
- Experience analyzing a digital product and its users – it’s what we do every day, so any examples you have that demonstrate the value you can bring to a digital product will make you a stronger candidate.
- Data manipulation skills using Python/R – sometimes we need to do analyses that SQL/Excel can’t handle, so a nice-to-have is being able to work with data using Python (Pandas) or R.