The Department of Academic Affairs invites applications for Institutional Research Analyst
The Institutional Research Analyst provides campus-wide support for the collection, maintenance, analysis, interpretation, reporting, and display of institutional data and statistics to be used in planning, budgeting, assessment, decision-making, and compliance. Supervised directly by the Associate Provost for Institutional Effectiveness and works closely with the Provost’s office, Information Services, faculty, staff, and student employees. Contributes to the design and maintenance of data models that support institutional data analytics. Works with stakeholders to design and execute research and statistical projects.
Essential Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities:
- Works with stakeholders to design, plan, and execute research and statistical projects.
- Responds to ad hoc data requests from internal and external stakeholders.
- Supports the design, development, implementation, maintenance, and documentation of data models, predictive models, processes and information systems for the support of institutional analytics, particularly related to student and academic data.
- Develops and revises queries and reports to meet information needs and to address ongoing and ad hoc reporting requirements using agreed-upon software tools, processes, standard definitions and methodologies.
- Completes consortia, local, state, and federal surveys in a timely and accurate manner according to documented requirements. For example, the Integrated Postsecondary Data System survey and the American Association of University Professors faculty compensation survey.
- Maintains knowledge of the student information system (PowerCAMPUS) and other data systems from which data must be retrieved to provide analysis and reports.
- Works with campus stakeholders to identify recurring data needs, requirements, specifications, and sources and to improve data definitions, data usage, data integrity and data accuracy.
- Maintains a working relationship with the university office of budget regarding areas of mutual interest in modeling.
- Develops and maintains self-service data products and visualizations such as data dashboards for commonly used data.
- Performs and advises others on data reduction, statistical analysis of data, interpretation of results, and drawing of conclusions.
- Monitors overall integrity of academic data, taking appropriate steps to correct data discrepancies when noted.
- Designs surveys and other instruments to support data gathering and advises on survey design.
- Manages the administration of university-wide surveys, maintains records of survey results, and provides support in analysis and interpretation of survey results.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Office of Institutional Effectiveness by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in social, behavioral, educational, data science, statistics, information technology, healthcare administration, business administration, or related quantitative discipline with 5 years progressive experience in applied research, assessment, data analysis or decision support; or Master's degree in the same areas with one year experience in applied research, assessment, data analysis, or decision support.
- Experience applying quantitative research methodology and interpreting multivariate statistics.
- Experience using Structured Query Language (SQL) to extract data from databases.
- Ability to clearly and concisely present and explain detailed information, complex concepts and models to persons in multiple levels of an organization.
- Ability to organize work in observance of deadlines
- Experience protecting and maintaining the confidentiality of information
- Effective written communication skills
- Experience developing data visualizations and using visualization software such as Tableau or Power BI
- Experience using Microsoft Excel, pivot tables, and Microsoft Access
- Experience in higher education
- Experience preparing material for higher education reports (e.g. IPEDS, AAUP)
- Knowledge of survey instrument design
- Working knowledge of Python or R
- Successful experience learning and adapting to new technology systems
- Experience developing project scope
- Successful experience working with persons from diverse backgrounds
- A high level of professionalism and integrity with a demonstrated ability to work productively with persons at all levels of an organization
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, to set priorities and to meet deadlines while maintaining a high level of performance
- A strong service orientation
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective oral communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusion
- An appreciation for and willingness to engage with the mission and aims of OWU
Completed application packets will include:
1) Cover Letter that speaks to your ability to meet the qualifications for the position.
2) Resume or Curriculum Vitae
3) The names, titles, and contact information for three professional references
4) Unofficial transcripts (both undergraduate and graduate, if available)
Please click the "Apply Now" button on this page to e-mail application materials.
Application review will continue until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications that arrive by September 17.
OHIO WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY, a private liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Columbus, in Delaware, Ohio, promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion and seeks applications from individuals who will help us honor and strengthen this commitment.
A comprehensive benefit plan is available with this position. More information regarding the comprehensive benefit plan can be found at owu.edu/hr.