FLSA Status: Exempt
Earliest Start Date: 02/01/2021
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Hours per Week: 40.00 Standard from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Hiring Department: Office of Institutional Research and Analysis
Required Application Materials: A resume and letter of interest is required in order to apply.
Purpose of Position
Manage business intelligence, data warehousing, and contractor staff responsible for providing management information and analysis to support strategic initiatives and institutional efforts of the University of Texas System. Work closely with institutional researchers to turn raw data into useful information via dashboards, web reporting, and other information delivery methods for the Office of Institutional Research (OIRA).
- Manage/supervise business intelligence, data warehousing and contractor staff; develop and make project plans for new technical projects, coordinate projects and workflow with IR Manager; maintain system documentation; prioritize tasks; and ensure data integrity.
- Disseminate information through interactive web-based and written reports and data presentations for UT System leadership; create data visualizations to meet needs for office reports.
- Serve as office information security administrator and ensures data integrity and security; work with Office of Information Security for hardware and software audits to ensure compliance with policies and configuration guidelines; design and implement business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Manage warehouse to work in tandem of BI Suite, which includes data integration, data quality, data cleansing and other Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) related activities, and tools; manage IT servers and applications.
- Conduct workshops and training on PowerBI/DAX to IR staff across UT System; actively participate in PowerBI Teams user group for UT System staff.
- Stay current on technology trends and business intelligence tools; disseminate information to staff through presentations and proof of concepts; identify desired software enhancements.
- Monitor higher education issues at the system, state, and national level.
- Represent UT System in state and national discussions related to business intelligence (BI) system and reporting, data collection, and accountability.
- Respond to ad hoc requests.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong business intelligence (BI) knowledge to include data warehousing, and data visualization.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot variety of technical system issues.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate data or information visually.
- Recent proven effectiveness managing a team of employees.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Ability to express and explain complex concepts to clients and users with varying technical backgrounds.
- Experience using Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other graphic presentation software to effectively communicate policy analysis results to different audiences.
- Project management skills and the ability to work on a collaborative research team.
- Experience extracting and analyzing data from national and state data base higher education system.
- Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years of applicable experience, including experience managing and supervising IT Systems, servers, applications, and programming.
- Two (2) years of experience building reports and dashboards using BI tools such as PowerBI or Tableau.
- Experience with DAX.
- Experience writing complex SQL queries.
- Ability to analyze large databases.
- Knowledge of SAS programming.
- PowerBI administration experience.
- Experience using content management systems such as Drupal.
- Experience in Public Higher Education/Institutional research office.
- Experience working with THECB or IPEDS data highly desired.
- Master’s degree.
- Two or more years of supervision experience.
- May work around standard office conditions.
- Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation.
- Requires occasional evening or weekend hours.
Candidates under final consideration will be required to submit references and college degree information. A criminal background check will be conducted on applicants under final consideration.
Reference, education and criminal background verifications will be completed by third-party vendors.
The University of Texas System Administration is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. Reasonable disability accommodation may be requested by contacting the Office of Talent and Innovation.