Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
The Data Engineer is a key member of the Information Technology Business Application Support team and is primarily responsible for providing support for applications like Enterprise (donor management system), Visual Traffic (underwriting), Lawson Financials and the Data Warehouse. This position will develop and support SSIS integrations across the applications, data warehouse and external business partners like banks, call centers, mailing houses and SAAS platforms. This position will apply product and windows updates and upgrades to stay on supported and secure versions of the software.
IT Business Application Support team resources back each other up in supporting various systems. This position will have primary responsibility for some of the business application systems and will serve as secondary support for one or more additional systems. This support will be managed within a collaborative environment working closely with end-users, other IT resources, and vendor support organizations.
Expected Compensation Range: $72,000-$94,500 annually. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Performs daily system administrator tasks involved in ensuring the smooth running of business application systems for APM/MPR/SCPR
- Responds to support tickets and monitoring system alarms – Creates and deletes accounts (onboarding, offboarding), fixes system malfunctions, fixes failed processes, works with third party vendor support
- Performs database backups, application backups and plans for business continuity and disaster recovery
- Performs Microsoft SQL Server database administration for the applications supported by this position
- Works with the IT Infrastructure group to apply Windows patches
- Performs version upgrades for third party applications and systems.
- Ensures that department methodologies, policies, and procedures are followed – for example, standards, configuration management, change control, version control, security policies
- Develops and maintains current system and user documentation as appropriate.
- Provides non-business-hours application support on an as-needed basis in conjunction with other IT/Application Support personnel, and additionally to share IT On-Call duties with other IT Staff as per department policy
- Responds to user requests for enhancements to functionality; participates in brainstorming sessions, to find the most optimal technical solutions to meet business needs
- Design, develop and maintain custom software – interfaces, integration and ETL logic, stored procedures, and other database functionality.
- Architect, build, and maintain integrations between systems in the organization
- Assists in future planning and business process analysis.
- Coaches and trains other IT resource(s) to be the secondary support person for the systems and areas supported by this position. Learns other system(s) to be the secondary support for those system(s)
- Other duties, as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Management Information Systems or related field or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of work experience in database, application support or CRM development capacity
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proven experience building integrations between disparate data platforms and CRMs
- Experience with architecting, development, and performance tuning of relational databases
- Experience working in a Microsoft Windows Server environment
- Experience working with SQL Server databases
- Experience building ETL packages and solutions using MS SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Expertise working with databases, database design, stored procedures and writing queries in SQL.
- Demonstrated ability to understand business data, business requirements, confidentiality requirements, and current technical environments
- Demonstrated ability to understand business processes, implement and maintain consistent support processes, diagnose and repair application errors and problems, perform upgrades to assigned application packages, and create/maintain/modify custom interfaces and assist in report development/customization within application systems
- Understanding of the principles for appropriate separation of duties around business functions / staff as well as appropriate management of information security from both a business and technology perspective.
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, and organizational skills.
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to build effective professional relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both in written and oral form with managers, IT peers, interdepartmental/divisional clients and contacts, and external organizations and resources.
- Working knowledge of available information technology, products, and industry trends and best practices.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively across multiple departments / departmental groups while maintaining effective communication and accountability.
- Ability to consistently work well with others within a team environment.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines.
- Must have the desire to understand and try out new technologies.
- Find working creatively with constraints around resources, time, and ambiguity exciting
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience designing and building CRM solutions
- Experience with Enterprise Fundraising System (Andar Software), Visual Traffic (Marketron) and/or Lawson (Infor) Financial applications
- Working knowledge of business accounting processes and practices including AR, AP, GL, Cash Management desirable
- Knowledge of the BI reporting environment desirable.
- Experience building custom applications with C# and VB.Net programming languages
- Experience working with REST and SOAP APIs
- Experience working with Big Data technologies like MongoDB and NoSQL
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.