The electric grid is vital to our everyday lives. It is fundamental for the health, safety, and well-being of our communities, and provides the platform for our economy and our societal and technological advances. SERC's mission is to reduce risks to the reliability and security of the electric grid (also known as the bulk power system), not only for today but also for the future.
To achieve this mission, we maintain a diverse team of experts across numerous disciplines in order to address the complex, evolving, and dynamic challenges facing the grid. Our team also partners with the best and brightest individuals from both the power industry and the federal government to understand and address the challenges facing the grid. These key partnerships make our work more informed, pragmatic, responsive, and impactful.
Analytics is key to understanding and predicting system performance. SERC's Advanced Analytics provides a platform for information to be translated into insights. With a mix of analytics, visualization and modeling techniques and technologies, the Technical Analyst identifies trends to help other departments, managers and executives make business decisions and improve processes in the organization.
The Technical Analyst is familiar and skilled in data analytics and metrics optimization. The analyst combines hard skills like programming, data modeling and statistics with soft skills like communication, analytical thinking and problem-solving. Using these skills the analyst will comb through diverse datasets and work with internal and external stakeholders to generate actionable business insights and solutions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review and analyze nuanced and data-intensive information, to draw meaningful conclusions, and communicate results with a wide audience.
- Create or discover new data procurement and processing programs and collaborate with the team in selecting and implementing appropriate methods.
- Identify and suggest solutions to technical analysis and data problems.
- Interpret trends or patterns in data sets, analyze results using statistical techniques and provide ongoing reports, data visualizations and dashboards.
- Develop data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality.
- Filter and clean data through various forensic initiatives.
- Develop policies and procedures for the collection and analysis of data.
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities.
- Facilitate and coordinate data submittals through SERC and NERC systems.
- Monitor and assist SERC entities with data entries into NERC's Availability and Analysis Data Systems for Transmission, Generation and Misoperations.
- Participate on a team of subject matter experts providing support and leadership in pursuance of the department and organization's goals.
- Implement other duties and responsibilities, as directed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS or AA in Information Management, Computer Science, Data Analytics, Economics, Statistics, Business Intelligence or equivalent combination of training and/or education.
- Minimum of one to three years of previous analyst experience in a data-intensive environment.
- Preferred candidates will have previous experience in the electric industry, electric power generation, transmission, and power system reliability; as well as knowledge of the business and operational functions of an electric utility and familiarity with the risks and controls of these functions.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Critical thinking, analytical skills and attention to detail.
- A methodical, investigative and inquisitive mind.
- Goal-oriented with desire to learn and passion to solve complex issues and problems
- Mathematical skills including statistics.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with proven ability to present findings and recommendations, both orally and in writing, to a diverse audience of technical and non-technical professionals.
- A willingness to adapt to the changes in processes and continuously improve.
- Ability to interpret client informational needs and to determine appropriate solutions.
- Capability to work independently or collaboratively with teams and support multiple tasks concurrently.
- Awareness of Business Intelligence tools and systems and intermediate-level computer and programming skills in applications such as R Studio, Python, Microsoft SQL Management Studio, and Excel (i.e. Macro, VBA, PowerPivot, VLookup).
COMMITMENT TO CULTURE:
SERC is dedicated to being a highly desirable place to work through culture and purpose. We place a strategic focus on critical elements such as Diversity & Inclusion, Innovation & Collaboration, and Organizational Development & Talent Management. Through this strategic focus, SERC has identified its four Cultural Attributes that we believe keeps us on the path of continuous improvement.
- Leader - Is trustworthy, principled, and respectful and strive to create value that reduces risk. Has a positive vision and is actively building support to execute it. A leader takes personal accountability for the outcomes of their choices and actions, acts with professionalism and adapts to change in a calm and positive manner. A leader will, when appropriate, ask questions and recommend alternative solutions to new processes or procedures.
- Collaborative - Partner and engage, both internally and externally, to drive meaningful action by leveraging skills, knowledge and tools. This would include effective written and verbal communication to ensure ideas and messages are clearly and concisely conveyed, being responsive to all stakeholders, understanding goals and objectives while exceeding key metrics and targets. Encourages dialog and candor while making it safe for others to voice their opinion to ensure all alternative viewpoints are heard, they are an active listener.
- Expert - Being credible, objective, disciplined, and sought after to help with continuous learning, improvements, and innovations. Exhibit knowledge of and ensures compliance with industry best practices and regulations. Take initiative to set priorities and convey important information in a timely and efficient manner. Employ good judgment when evaluating a problem by analyzing risk and identifying consequences while demonstrating a sense of organizational stewardship.
- Purposeful - Proactively demonstrate initiative, intentionality and resourcefulness to help anticipate and navigate current and future challenges. Committed to the quality of work and ensures work is delivered at appropriate deadlines while seeking operational efficiencies. Initiate appropriate follow-up while leveraging industry knowledge and business acumen to make appropriate decisions. Treat others with compassion and empathy and embrace the organization's mission and vision while providing meaningful contributions to organizational endeavors.
If the traits and characteristics listed in our Cultural Attributes resonate with you, we encourage you to apply!
The salary range for this position is DOE. We offer a generous PTO package; paid holidays; medical, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and a 401(k) plan with an organization match.
SERC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary range for this position is DOE.