The Senior Specialist, Data Science for the Fellowship/Internship (F/I) program, will work within the APHL Quality Systems and Analytics (QSA) program to develop and implement standardized Data Science practices and protocols, including data collection and deployment, analysis, visualization, and database administration.
This role will work with staff, members, partner agencies, and other stakeholders for data needs within APHL’s programs and projects. The Senior Specialist will also provide guidance and expertise to ensure that APHL’s F/I work is designed to leverage data to improve effective implementation of Public Health Laboratory programs, policy, and practices and support the greater public health laboratory system. This position reports to the Manager of Data Science in the QSA program.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Data Collection and Analysis
- Research, assess, and implement efficient and high-quality data collection and analysis processes, including the use of appropriate data science tools and software to assist APHL’s F/I project.
- Identify and apply appropriate methods to acquire, explore, cleanse, and fuse F/I related data from internal and external sources.
- Develop and deploy survey data collection methods at programmatic and organizational levels and conduct in-depth qualitative and quantitative data analyses on selected data sets.
- Contribute to interpreting and disseminating F/I program and project data to inform decision-making.
- Review and provide recommendations on data validation and testing approach and data quality processes.
- Transfer data into a new format to make it more appropriate for analysis.
- Data Visualization
- Utilize data sources, test model enhancements, and fine-tune model parameters to improve upon existing methodologies.
- Construct/maintain public-facing and internal reporting tools to provide insights and metrics to improve data use among F/I project staff and partners.
- Create maps, graphs, charts, tables, and infographics using appropriate tools and software.
- Develop and validate data visualization dashboards, utilizing data collected from various methods and online databases.
- Database Administration
- Participate in developing, implementing, and maintaining F/I related database and software/system needs.
- Coordinate with members, partners, and subject matter experts to ensure data fields are current.
- Conduct data quality checks, upload surveys, and other member data into the systems, and communicate with developers and Information Systems staff to ensure the maintenance and functional improvements are performed on time.
- Respond to questions, conduct queries, generate dashboards and provide training and ongoing promotion.
- Other Duties
- Serve as the point of contact and coordinate all internal and external data requests, assuring these follow APHL practices and are in accordance with APHL’s Data Use Policy.
- Develop infographics as well as creates data briefs, technical reports, fact sheets and other appropriate materials as needed.
- When appropriate, develop and deliver data-science-related training for APHL staff and its membership.
- Prepare documents, Standard Operating Procedures, reports, correspondence, and presentations as needed.
- Provide support to the leadership team on achieving strategic and tactical goals regarding data.
- As is true for all APHL staff, completes other duties as assigned.
This position requires a responsive, committed individual who recognizes the impact of the work of the organization.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required for successful performance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent education in public health, epidemiology, social sciences, statistics, data analytics, information management or related field, and a minimum of five years progressive and relevant experience is required. An advanced degree is preferred and may be substituted for work experience.
- Proven track record for applying knowledge and concepts in data collection and analysis, data visualization, and database administration.
- Proven track record in collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, and interpretation of results.
- Demonstrated experience in data science and retrieval systems and online databases.
- Experience in preparing reports and summaries, providing technical guidance and recommendations, and delivery of training.
- Substantial knowledge and practical application of data collection and analysis, and database administrative practices.
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Power BI, Tableau, Data Wrapper, matplotlib, ggplot, d3.js. that help to visually encode data.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Qualtrics and Survey Monkey platforms, and Microsoft Power BI is required; familiarity with SharePoint, and Nvivo preferred.
- Programming – knowledge of statistical programming languages like Stata, R, Python, and database query languages like SQL is desirable.
- Understanding of performance measures, outcomes, and continuous quality improvement.
- Administrative tasks requiring organization and record keeping.
- Interest in laboratories or the public health field preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in various data collection methods, including survey development, and data collection design.
- Demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative data analysis and interpretation of results.
- Demonstrated skills in developing various data visualizations.
- Demonstrated skills in database administration and managing large data sets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff, members, federal partners and others.
- Strong coordination and project management skills.
- Excellent skills in report writing and presentation development, editing, and creation of appropriate charts, tables and graphics.
- Demonstrated presentation and training skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with emphasis on details.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to handle changing priorities and multiple tasks under tight deadlines and assuring completion of projects in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to follow APHL operating procedures and tracking systems.
- Ability to lead and collaborate within a team setting.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee could be exposed to outdoor weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment may vary from light to moderate depending on the location.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a colleague to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is required to sit for long periods at a time; type using a computer keyboard; visually read information off of a computer monitor; talk, hear, and orally communicate information over the telephone. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Association of Public Health Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer.