In 2016 Elon released: The Master Plan, Part Deux. In this plan he highlighted the need to Integrate Energy Generation and Storage by creating stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage. Tesla Energy’s Installation team is in the operations arm of the business. The team installs high-quality energy products (Solar Roof, Retrofit Solar, Powerwall) across the United States. To achieve this, we use a combination of direct labor and sub-contractors and partner with certified installers and new home builders.
About Tesla Energy Quality
The Quality Department's core purposes are to ensure that the services we provide and the products we install meet the design intent so that people will love them and to reduce organizational spend by identifying and reducing inefficiencies caused by operations errors and product defects. We react to issues by containing, identifying root cause, and determining corrective actions to prevent recurrence while proactively identifying and mitigating risks to improve capability and capacity of operations through new methods, tools, or material.
Tesla Energy’s Installation Quality department supports the installation of residential energy products through the continual improvement of process and product quality and the systems that surround them. A successful candidate for this team must be a problem-solver at their core, have a strong quality and customer-focused mindset, and have the personal drive and stamina for relentless, continual improvement, both personally and professionally.
About Quality Data Science
The Quality Data Science team supports all branches of the quality organization (Install Quality, Business Quality and Quality Systems). The team supports everything from analytics requests, metric development, root cause analysis, predictive analytics, quality control testing and development and much more. Embedded within the Quality organization the Data Science team operates as a support mechanism to effectively solve problems and prevent quality issues from reoccurring.
What You’ll Do
- Analyze installation, performance, and customer data to extract useful statistics and insights related to quality in order to drive meaningful improvements to our processes and customer experience
- Develop queries using SQL to aggregate and process data across multiple data sources
- Create ETL jobs to calculate key performance indicators
- Create high visibility dashboards to tell data stories and provide metrics about installation quality nationwide
- Work effectively with engineers, project managers, and technicians to conduct end-to-end analyses
- Interpret data, analyze results, and provide ongoing reports
- Monitor key product metrics, understanding root causes of changes in metrics
- Maintain existing data visualizations and develop enhancements as needed
- Drive underlying data systems improvement by working with key cross-functional stakeholders
- Perform data quality validations to ensure data creation is as per the business needs and expectations
- Work with management to prioritize business and information needs
Essential Skills - Job Specific
- Expert in writing SQL and familiar with multiple data architecture paradigms (Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Vertica, Presto, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of and experience with data visualization software (Tableau, PowerBI, etc.)
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical tools/packages for analyzing datasets
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design, and data mining techniques.
- Experience with Python, especially in a data analytics/science capacity where pandas/numpy are used heavily
- Exposure to "big data" technologies, particularly any part of a Spark, HBASE, Hadoop stack
- Strong analytical skills with ability to combine and find patterns across multiple datasets
- Strong attention to details and data accuracy
Essential Skills - General
- Raises the Bar - We need top performers who raise the bar in our organization. When we hire new candidates, they should already be better than most employees in that role. We will often need to do this by being scrappy and challenging the status quo.
- Bias for Action - must have bias for action and be able to convert thought into execution quickly.
- People Centric - value people and their time. Demonstrate empathy and respect.
- Adaptive - Adapts to change, even when they may not be in favor of it. Someone who is collaborative and willing to take on new assignments and roles to benefit the business.
- Develops Others - Serves as a multiplier. Makes others around them better by helping them highlight their strengths and work on their weaknesses. Can serve as a mentor to more junior leaders and employees and develop them for roles of greater responsibility.
- Innovates - Find creative ways to simplify and look at our operation through a new lens. Not caught up on old ways of doing things. Has the ability to adapt and creatively work through problems and solutions that may not be their own.
- Thinks like an Owner - Willing to take risks, own outcomes, and learn from them. Humble and prioritizes the needs of the business over their own.
- Reasons from First Principles - Able to identify root causes and use data to drive decisions and change.
- Resourceful - Practices frugality. Is a scrappy leader who can do more with less.
- Curious - Seek to understand and show empathy. Have an insatiable thirst for learning and knowledge.
What You’ll Bring
- BS in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management, Statistics, Engineering or related field.
- 3+ years working experience as a data analyst or business data analyst.
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$68,000 - $234,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program